College is filled with beginnings of taking care of yourself, fun adventures, and of course your studies! The goal is to discover a balance of campus life that works for you. This balance includes studying, eating right, resting enough, performing physical activities, attending events, and socializing.
You may or may not be familiar with the term, “The Freshman 15”. It is defined by gaining an average of 15 pounds during your freshman year at college. This weight gain can creep up on anyone at anytime. That’s why it’s so important to be aware and knowledgeable with how to avoid it from happening. The challenge is learning how to incorporate healthy eating and exercise into a schedule that is very demanding!
Prioritizing and planning a daily schedule Is the winning combination to keep your mind relaxed and your body active throughout the semester, which helps in avoiding any weight gain.
7 COLLEGE REMINDERS TO DO DAILY
- Eat real foods (fruits, green vegetables, lean proteins.)
- Avoid boxed, canned, or bagged foods…this includes late night pizza in a box!
- Drink water & plenty of it.
- Watch your sugar intake (especially when drinking alcoholic beverages!)
- Sleep off stress & fatigue.
- Make time for you! A quick workout is better than no workout!
- Be consistent in all you set out to do.
THE CAMPUS WORKOUT PLAN
I have created 3 different workouts for you to learn and perform regularly along with your busy schedules. These weekly workouts contain a variety of strength and toning circuits as well as provide you with 3 different “go to” workouts that can be done on your college journey!
We’re on the final week of the freshman 15 campus challenge… But that doesn’t mean you stop now!! It’s just the beginning stages to adapt to this or any fitness program. If you are just joining in now, please refer back to week 1 and 2 to learn the other workouts.
The 3 weekly workouts consist of the following:
WEEK1(link to: ):
Dorm Room Strength Circuits: 8 moves, 8 minutes
Strength exercises, partner drills, & stretching series
CAMPUS DRILLS 102: Strength & Yoga
Strength exercises, partner drills, & yoga series
The workouts are filled with many creative exercises you can perform alone or with a friend. Focus on learning the exercises well so that when you go to do the actual workouts, you will know what exercises you want to perform ahead of time for your routine to be efficient and effective.
I also recommend printing out the workouts so you have a “cheat sheet” for reference. Each workout is balanced to target every body part for toning muscle, burning calories, and having a blast!
Once you learn the routines, you can perform these workouts on days you need a quick calorie-blasting fix. You can begin to create your own routine by mixing and matching these routines or incorporating other exercises you may already know!
CAMPUS DRILLS 102
The third week of the workout challenge is performed outside and around a college campus. This is a great way to enjoy your campus, get some fresh air, and sweat off stress pounds! Many of the exercises are partner based to ramp up the challenge, however, you can still do the same drills solo too! The workout is equipment free, maximizes your time, it’s effective for your body, and it’s fun to do with a friend!
To make this workout the most efficient, incorporate the following:
- Add Cardio: run/ power-walk for 20-30 minutes around campus before, after, or in-between the strength exercises.
- Plan a Route: Plot out good locations around your campus containing steps, a hillside, an open lawn, or a bench for use with the exercises.
- Get Social: Working out can be a great social event, but don’t let it take away from what you’re trying to accomplish. Find a friend(s) that are similar to your fitness level so you can challenge each other!
Now get moving and give it a try!
*Check out the video to see how these exercises are performed.
INSPIRE YOURSELF & OTHERS
- Write out your top 3 reasons why you want to avoid the “Freshman 15” and get in great college shape.
- Post it in a visible place you will see daily (ex: your mirror).
- Use social media to post your efforts and progress for other college students to become motivated and join in a challenge too!
Use #tags such as: #freshman15, #beatthefreshman15, #freshman15challenge
Keeping stress levels down and weight off is an excellent goal. This is actually the best reason to keep going strong! You now have 3 amazing workouts with different exercises to pick and choose from depending on your daily class schedules. Whether it’s a dorm room toning session or a campus killer crawl, just doing what you can will make the difference in your fitness goals and will help you beat the dreaded “Freshman 15” weight gain from occurring.
Bring your game face to your party and get started with the fun accomplish great results!
http://www.groovysweatstore.com (purchasable workout videos)
http://www.youtube.com/groovysweat (workout clips)
College students demonstrating exercises in video:
Twitter & Instagram: @madi_durbin