Summer is just around the corner and who wouldn’t like to look a little more shredded? As we start to shed our winter and spring cover up clothes for bathing suits and bikinis, we need to be ready. Building up muscle, and getting leaner so those muscles show through does not happen overnight. However, the following 5 tips will help you build muscle fast, and get ripped fast, at home, using your Total Gym. One of the biggest reasons people don’t see results is they want it too quick, too easily. Changing your physique takes diligent effort, so are you ready for the commitment? OK then, let’s rock!
- Go Heavy or Go Home – Well, you’re already at home when working on your Total Gym, but you’ve heard the saying. Just how stress in life causes you to build and grow as a person, your body needs stress as well to make it grow. This means heavier resistance and less repetitions to fatigue. If you’re ready to put on some size, choose a resistance level so you are hitting fatigue in between 6 and 8 repetitions – with good form. Your form is paramount especially when using heavier resistance.
- Watch Your Bicep Curls – What I mean by this is the action of putting food in your mouth! To looked ripped, your diet is about 80% of the battle, if not more. But when you combine eating smart with heavy resistance and cardio interval training, the synergy of all three will get you ripped fast. Protein is key! So how much do you need? With getting ripped as the goal, aim for about 1 gram per pound of your desired weight. So if you weigh 210 but will be lean at 180, shoot for 180 grams of protein. This is a lot to ingest, so you may need a good, clean protein powder. Also, the added protein calories will mean cutting back on carbs and fats. Everyone is different, so before making changes to your diet, please consult with a dietician or doctor. More advice: Find someone who is ripped and ask them what they ingest. They will probably suggest some muscle building supplements like creatine or testosterone. Getting ripped is a fun experiment so put on your lab coat and get curious.
- Keep it Simple – What are the best exercises to help you build muscle fast? The good old basics, chest presses, shoulder presses, heavy back rows and deep squats. All of which can be safely performed on your Total Gym. Check out the video!
- Rest and Recover – When I used to chat with the huge body builders at the gyms I worked at, they always told me their biggest inhibitor to building muscle was over-training. When you’re taxing your muscles with heavier resistance, they need more recovery time. After blasting your chest muscles, give them at least 72 hours to fully recover before hitting them again. You’ll also need added sleep if you want to see results. Quality sleep is when your body repairs and rebuilds.
- Be Patient! – As aforementioned, this is where most people fail. They give up before the gift arrives. Celebrate the small victories. A food journal is a great tool, but also record your visible progress and positive emotions while you’re writing.
How fast is fast? If you follow these tips and bust it with gusto, you can gain up to 2 pounds of muscle a month. That added muscle mass is going to boost your metabolism from a simmer to a roaring furnace to start burning up fat.
Now, check out the video and we’ll hone in on #3 above – Keep It Simple. You’ll learn the exercises on your Total Gym to get you looking swoll and svelte for summer!
(FYI, “swoll” is slang for swollen – common gym phrase “let’s get swoll”)