If your goal is to get stronger, leaner, feel empowered or just burn a ton of calories, then you may want to consider a kickboxing workout. It develops strength, confidence, coordination, and can prepare your self-defense skills.
THE ART OF KICKBOXING
Kickboxing is a blend of boxing and martial arts that uses strikes from the hands and feet to attack an opponent’s groin, legs, or back. Strikes are prohibited with anything else such as weapons.
Kickboxing is a flexible term. It focuses on everything from cardio conditioning and dance to self-defense, martial arts skills, and competition. Since this art is so diverse in its movements, it’s best to condition your mind and body through consistent practice in all aspects. Developing skills takes time, but it is what’s needed to execute the proper techniques for each striking action for a successful experience.
There are many reasons you should put on a pair of gloves and give kickboxing a chance. Here are a few of the top reasons…
- Excellent cross training for any sport
Total body conditioning of drills, strength, and cardio intervals
- Develops core power
The core produces the power to initiate all movements = “core power”
- Anyone can do it
Kickboxing is for all ages. It’s never too late to learn.
- Performed anywhere
Drills can be practiced in any setting, alone or in a class, and at your pace.
- Makes you feel like a bad@#*!!!
Need I say more?!
- It’s fun!
So why not give it a try?
Kickboxing is a skill anyone can learn. It’s not just for the bad a**es, but it sure will make you feel like one! Learning the correct technique is key when beginning to execute kicks and punches in all ranges of motion. Plus, the stronger your muscles, tendons and joints are, the better your body will perform and prevent any injury.
Now is the time to get fierce!
We’ve all heard the saying, “Practice makes perfect”. It is true and holds value. Anything worth learning takes patience and continual practice to master a new skill.
If you have already been doing this style of workout, it’s always a good reminder to freshen up your practice by perfecting your form or by adding a combination of drills to increase your skills.
If you are new to a kickboxing program, use these tips as a guide when starting…
- Learn proper form and technique for each execution.
- Practice a few basic movements at a time.
- Begin to combine these movements into a following sequence of drills.
- Practice in a space without obstacles.
- Take a few lessons from an authoritative source to learn properly.
- Warm up properly before every session to reduce the risk of injury.
- Incorporate drills to develop speed, endurance, balance, & reactive strength.
- Practice techniques consistently to become comfortable and confident.
- Remember to laugh, learn, and have fun!
Within no time, your body will learn the skills needed to become a lean, mean, fighting machine!
KILLER KICKBOXING WORKOUT
Want to give kickboxing a whirl, but not quite ready to hit the bags? Try this kickboxing circuit workout on your Total Gym with 8 fierce moves to kick your body into fighting shape!
- Perform this kickboxing workout in circuit format, one exercise after the other with no rest in between exercises.
- Perform each exercise for 10 REPS, 2 SETS.
- Include your own dynamic warm-up and conclude with a series of stretches.
DYNAMIC WARM-UP: Prior to the workout circuit, perform a series of dynamic movements that warm-up your muscles in all ranges of motion for 5 minutes.
Examples: squats, lunges, leg swings, planks, mountain climbers, jumping jacks, etc.
ATTACH SQUAT STAND
Incline: high level
- Jump Front Kick (alternate legs)
- Jump Side Kick
Incline: low-medium level
- Static Hook & Front Punch
- Back Fist & Elbow Strike
REMOVE CABLES & SQUAT STAND
Incline: low- medium level
- Gliding Burpie & Target Punches (8 count move)
- Plank kick through – jump
STRETCH: End your killer session with a few stretches that lengthen the muscles worked, prevent injury, and get you ready for your next workout!
Please check out the video to see how these kickboxing moves are performed on your Total Gym.
Just for kicks… give this killer workout a try! It’s an empowering activity on many levels!
Knock your heart out,