The Circuit Training Total Gym Workout
Note: Some of the exercises listed below are considered advanced and should only be attempted by experienced fitness enthusiasts. Use common sense and avoid any movements that cause joint discomfort.
Workout routines tend to eat up the clock with long commercial breaks and uninspired play calling. In honor of the Super Bowl, we’ve assembled a high intensity, position-inspired circuit workout on the Total Gym to help you stick with your 2015 fitness game plan. Start with a quick pregame warm up, then kickoff the game with a no-holds barred, rapid-fire circuit with intensity, focus and a winning spirit.
Pre-game: 3-D Mobility & Increased Heart Rate
Start your pregame warm up with five-minutes of old school calisthenics such as jumping jacks, high knee lifts, windmills or just a jog around the block.
1st Half: Dust Devil Kickoff
What You Will Improve: Agility, Speed bursts, Rotation
Position Focus: Running back, Wide receivers and Defensive backs
– Quick Feet: Lower down into a half squat then start running in place on the squat stand. Try to keep the glideboard and your core stable as you switch from one foot to the other as fast as possible.
*Coach’s Tip: Get those knees up!
– Rotational Equilibrium: Start in a high level seated chest press position. Keep your posture tall then launch a static equilibrium set with as much speed and posture control possible. Next, turn around and repeat the strategy with a high level seated row.
30-60 seconds per exercise with minimal rest in-between each move. Repeat the circuit two to three times.
2nd Half: Glendale Gut check
What You Will Improve: Speed Bursts, Power, Tackling, Lateral Motion
Position Focus 1: Linebackers, Tight Ends
– Hip Abduction (side lying or using cable): Stay tall and use a quick pulse motion for side lying or a swift push against the cable in the seated position
– Torso Rotation (one handle): Try the high kneeling position to incorporate your hips into the movement. One second away from the tower, two seconds back. After 30-60 seconds move into a single arm chest fly in the same position. Focus on stability of the trunk and power through the shoulders and chest. Repeat on opposite side
– Plyometric Pull-ups: Explode up, control down! 60 seconds of everything you’ve got!
Move quickly from one exercise to the next then move straight into circuit #3 after a 2 minute rest.
What You Will Improve: Reaction time, Strength, Push/Pull Motion
Position Focus 2: Offensive/Defensive Lineman
Circuit 3 (RED ZONE):
– Heavy Squats w/ Incline Chest Press (using Dumbbells): Top level inclines and heavy dumbbells. Start the motion with dumbbells raised and legs straight. Keep your low back in neutral as you lower the weights toward the shoulder and move down into the squat. Explode up the rails as you press the dumbbells straight up.
*Coach’s Tip: Remember to exhale during exertion.
– High Level Rows (Single Arm): High incline, both handles in one hand. Sit tall and pull the shoulder back and down. One second up, two seconds down.
– Plyometric Shoulder Press (overhead press with press bar or wing attachment): Keep the chest down on the glideboard and exhale as you launch yourself up the incline. Use full range of motion to control the descent and take your time returning to the standing position.
Complete once through, or repeat if you feel like Marshawn Lynch in #BEASTMODE!
Cool down with a walk, some light stretching, and enjoying the game!