Feel like you need a little fitness challenge or something that you can strive towards accomplishing? We all need a little encouragement to try something new or accept a challenge that is provided to us. So why not join my 4- week Upper Body Challenge?
This challenge is an excellent way to train your muscles by performing specific strength exercises that target your arms and shoulders. You be the judge of your own progress at the end of the 4 weeks!
The Upper Body Challenge is based on a 4-week training cycle that is created to produce results and improve your current fitness level. The challenge consists of varying reps/ sets and resistance levels to suit your fitness needs. You will perform the workout provided in conjunction with your current routine.
Each week I will provide you with a slightly different set of exercises that target your upper body muscles in every range of motion. The intensity level should increase weekly to keep your body challenged and progressing with improvements. This adds variety in the routine, challenges the muscles, and increases strength development.
This is the 2nd week of the Upper Body Challenge, so if you’re just joining in now, you can refer back to week 1’s blog post for the full program details and start from the beginning. I recommend printing or saving the weekly workouts schedule to your phone/notebook for an easy reference.
Listed in the chart below are the instructions for week 2’s challenge.
*Check out the video to see how these exercises are performed.
A good workout is only as good as how you fuel your body. Your diet and the exercises you choose to do are a team. Without focus to both concepts, the results you’re working towards will be tough to conquer. Since this challenge is focused towards strength development, you must be aware and educated on fueling your muscles with proteins in order to build lean muscle.
Here are some lean muscle-building foods to eat that will repair and fuel your body, develop strength gains, and produce the results you want!
- Fish – Contains lean proteins and omega-3’s (good fat).
- Beef (grass fed) – Has high protein, zinc, iron, B vitamins.
- Eggs – Good protein source including the yolk, also enhances lean muscle and strength gain.
- Beets – Excellent source of betaine, which enhances liver and joint repair, increases muscle strength and power.
- Apples – Contains polyphenols, which increase muscle strength, prevent muscle fatigue, fat burning, and prolonged energy. They are best to have pre-workout.
- Oranges – Very good pre-workout food, boosts muscle growth, strength, and endurance.
- Quinoa – A protein grain, slow-digesting carb which contributes to an increase in insulin-like growth factor and is associated with lean muscle/ strength gains, as well as prolonged energy storage.
- Spinach – Good source of glutamine, an amino acid for producing lean muscle. Also increases muscle strength and endurance.
- Wheat Germ – Rich in iron, zinc, potassium, and B vitamins, high in fiber and protein, contains branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs), arginine and glutamine, sustained energy.
It’s amazing how your body will feel and change based on the foods you eat!
Your dedication and commitment is inspiring to others going through the same process. It can be motivating and encouraging to share your progress on a social media platform. Use the #tag: #TotalGymsUpperBodyChallenge to share your progress!
Good luck with the second workout. Stay tuned for week 3’s challenge!
http://www.groovysweatstore.com (purchasable workout videos)
http://www.youtube.com/groovysweat (workout clips)