Working in 2020In this new world we are all experiencing, many of us are working from home. I guess it’s prevalent as I just read a blog with “WFH” and I had to look it up! I have been working from home for several years now and I want to share a fun way to get your workout in by interspersing it with your actual work. It also works swell on the weekends when you have house chores to do or if you’re a stay at home parent. So if you have been working at home in your pajamas, hopefully this blog will inspire you to work from home in your workout clothes and take full advantage of your stay at home situation and the awesomeness of your Total Gym.
A shift in mindset is key to a productive WFH environmentThis is a great way to get a stellar work out in that feels effortless in scheduling. Rather an a reluctant or dreaded “All right…I guess it’s time to do my hour workout. I might as well get started so I can just get it over with” it morphs into a positive tone as in “Yeah! Time for a well-deserved break from the grind stone and a super opportunity for me to wake up my body and my brain.”
Here are just a couple of benefits from interspersing some Total Gym exercise into your working from home days:
• Just like any work or life project, breaking your work out and your work, into smaller chunks and time frames, makes it more palatable and mentally less daunting. In my experience, it allows you to bring more energy and focus to every repetition and set.
• It's a great boost to your physical energy! Especially if you find yourself sitting on your butt during your working periods. And if that is you, I highly recommend you invest in a standing desk. I purchased mine at flexspot.com for a very reasonable price. It raises and lowers with ease so you can alternate between standing and sitting. Prolonged sitting not only dulls the body and brain but has been proven to be very unhealthy. Google "Sitting is the new smoking" and it will blow your mind!
• It's a Super-Duper way to wake up your brain and sharpen your mental acuity. It’s simple science really. Your brain is a hungry organ and uses 20% of your entire body's oxygen and blood. Working out obviously increases your heart rate and thus the blood and oxygen flow to your brain. After a few quick sets on your Total Gym, you’ll return to your work space feeling like Einstein!
• It's a healthy way to burn off stress energy and prevent it from accumulating over a full day’s work. Not only will you be burning extra calories, just think of all the calories and brain cells you'll save from not having to go to happy hour. Workouts have also been proven to release feel good chemicals in your brain so you’ll be healthier and happier.
• It breaks up the monotony of a tedious workday. With all that added physical and mental energy, you'll be more creative and productive. And the added bonus: at the end of the day your work out will be finished! Time to eat dinner, relax and get back to binging Netflix.
Be creative and come up with any version of these intervals but for now, watch the accompanying video as I’ll give you some examples to give you some ideas and get you started.
When life throws you a curve ball, see how you can use it to your advantage, and hit it out of the park.